Eating quality food at Ray’s has been a tradition in Monticello for many years. C.L. Ray opened up Ray’s in its current location in 1964. Mr Ray moved to Monticello in 1951 and leased The Anchor Drive-In from 1951-1958 on Hyatt Street. He later founded the original Ray’s in 1958, catty-cornered to it’s current location. C.L. Ray’s commitment and relentless work ethic laid the groundwork for Ray’s success.
C.L. Ray’s oldest son, Mike and his wife Gloria co-owned and ran Ray’s from 1965-1971. Mark Ray, along with his wife Laurie, came on board in 1974 and eventually bought the business from C. L. Ray in 1980. Mark Ray is a longtime highly-respected member of the community, and his innovative vision and ideas took Ray’s to the next level and continue to show today.
Ray’s is currently owned and operated by Chris Ray (Mark’s son) and his wife, Wendy. Chris began working for his Father in 1992, and took charge of the daily operations in 1996.
Ray’s has been blessed by the loyal customers in our community. We continue to thrive as a destination for some of the best Hamburgers, Barbeque, and Catfish in the world. Our Hamburgers are made daily from 100% fresh ground beef. Our Barbeque is hickory pit smoked. Our Catfish is a premium, American product.
Ray’s has employed an estimated 4500 people throughout its history. We’re very grateful to our loyal employees, many of which have become outstanding, accomplished citizens. We actively support many causes and programs in our community. Ray’s looks forward to serving Monticello for many years to come.